Find out if you’re ready for GDPR
CIM is inviting businesses to an event at Rollits LLP in Hull on 24 October to help prepare them GDPR.
Emma Shaw MCIM and Chartered Marketer, who is organising the event, explained, "The General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) come into force in May 2018, and will impose additional obligations on the way organisations lawfully obtain, hold and handle personal data, with a substantial increase in potential fines for non-compliance." She continued, "We are delighted to have David White, Senior Solicitor in Rollits LLP's Data Protection team, at our event to discuss the key changes being introduced and consider some of the steps organisations should be taking to ensure compliance."
Topics will include the role and responsibilities of data controllers and data processors, policies and procedures which organisations should consider adopting when handling personal data, and individuals' data rights.
CIM is committed to working with organisations to ensure best data practice is embedded; to raise standards and help to rebuild customer trust. To do this, CIM has recently launched a campaign entitled Data Right - calling on businesses to be more responsible with the way they manage data, in order to improve the relationship between businesses and customers.
CIM's Data Right pledge asks businesses to commit to do four key things:
- Be clear: businesses should tell consumers how and when they will use their data
- Show respect: companies need to ensure trust, honesty and accountability are at the heart of the relationship with their customers
- Be in the know: businesses need to continually familiarise themselves with the dos and don'ts of data rights and the law, such as the upcoming changes due to new GDPR legislation, and best practice
- Show the benefits: businesses must help customers understand how href="http://regions.cim.co.uk/events" target="_blank">http://regions.cim.co.uk/events or call +44 (0)1628 427340 during office hours.
- The event, sponsored by Elevation Recruitment, is titled 'GDPR is coming…are you ready?' and is open to CIM members and non-members.
This article is for general guidance only. It provides useful information in a concise form. Action should not be taken without obtaining specific legal advice.